Have the parties hit the nail on the head, or are there important things you think have been missed and need to be addressed?
What 2-4 new policies would you want to see adopted by the next government?
This is what I would like to see:
– More money invested in special needs:
- professional development for all teachers and teacher aids, particularly in the areas of dyslexia and the Autistic spectrum. I would want this to be a key part of all teacher trainees’ courses, with research considered as well as case studies.
- More access to ORS and other resources for students that will need support to fully achieve their potential.
– Overturn the charter schools legislation:
- Focus on all public schools having the same support and same freedoms to innovate in how they meet their students’ needs.
- The current charters would be given the opportunity to become schools within the remaining legislative framework.
– Food in Schools programme:
- To be rolled out to all Decile 1-4 schools and all others that want to be part of it, no matter what decile.
- Food to meet healthy guidelines set down by nutritionists.
- To include breakfast and lunch.
National Standards to be scrapped:
- The money saved from this should go to quality appropriate professional development in numeracy and literacy for all school staff at all levels.
That’s my 5 cents’ worth. I truly think those measures would have significant positive effect on students’ achievement and love for learning.
I welcome your comments and would love you to share your own policy wishlist here or on the Facebook page.
Further reading: Professor Martin Thrupp’s evaluation of National’s proposals.