Kelvin Smythe has had a guts full of the Dumb Editor at The Dominion Post:
To Dumb Editor, national standards are about parents knowing ‘how their children are progressing in the three most important building blocks …’
Don’t make me laugh.
National standards and testing are not about parents knowing how their children are progressing:
- they are about making way for political and bureaucratic authoritarian control over schools;
- they are about a rapid growth of private schools for the children of the more privileged;
- they are about international corporations using education as a source of investment and profit;
- they are about using education for the neoliberal propagandising of students;
- they are about achieving wider social and economic neoliberal goals;
- and, cruelly they are about appearing to do something for less privileged children when they are actually preparing them to be part of a disposable generation.
Dumb Editor knows this and is playing dumb to disguise the real purposes of national standards and testing.
Read the rest here.